The Original Mauna Kea Sunset and Stargazing Adventure
We invite you to experience what is quite possibly the most dramatic and stimulating scenery to be found anywhere! Journey with us to the top of this spectacular mountain in our 4×4 vans, enjoy a hearty meal, watch the breathtaking sunset and stargaze at the heavens.
- Extremely informative narration from our highly trained guides
- 4×4 micro-coach vans with panoramic views
- Convenient central pick-up points in Kailua Kona or Waikoloa
- Superb scenery and photo opportunities with Sunset on the summit
- Arctic style parkas with hoods and gloves
- Hearty 3 Cheese Lasagna Supper
- 11inch computerized telescopes (twice the power of the standard 8inch)
- Stargazing program with our powerful telescope *Weather Permitting
- Gourmet hot beverage service, cocoa, coffee, and tea accompanied with biscotti while stargazing
Restrictions: High Altitude Health Warning! Do not attempt a trip to Mauna Kea summit if you have Heart or Respiratory Conditions, are Pregnant, Severely Obese (BMI 40 or above), Sick or in a Weakened state. SCUBA divers should wait at least 24 hours from their last dive. Minimum age to the summit is 13 years. Please consult your physician and our reservations department if you have any doubt.
Mountain Environment: Mauna Kea averages 325 clear nights a year. Most of the unfavorable nights are predictable and about 12% of our trips are cancelled for that reason. Occasionally unexpected clouds or inclement weather may affect a trip in progress. About 6% of our trips are affected by undesirable weather. Mauna Kea is a cold and sometimes windy place. You will need long pants, closed shoes and an intermediate layer.
* Mauna Kea Summit Adventures does NOT guarantee weather